This is an OLD edition of our books. Search forDirect Hits Core Vocabularyto find our latest book!
5th Edition Description
Does developing a high-level vocabulary need to be a tedious, frustrating task? Direct Hits doesn't think so. Research has shown that a powerful and vibrant vocabulary has a high correlation with success in school, business, the professions, AND standardized tests, including the PSAT, SAT, SSAT, and AP exams. Direct Hits Core Vocabulary of the SAT offers a different approach.
Direct Hits' Core Vocabulary focuses on the level 3 and 4 words a student needs to know to achieve a Critical Reading score above a 500. This book includes the following features:
- Selective vocabulary found on recent SATs and PSATs used in context. No more memorizing the definitions of long lists of seemingly random words in a vacuum
- Relevant, vivid, and memorable examples from literature, historic events, contemporary issues, and pop culture
- A Fast Review for each chapter, with quick definitions
- A Final Review with sentence completion questions just like real SATs and PSATs, including complete solution explanations
- Chapters One and Two are devoted to 100 core words that have repeatedly appeared on the SAT and PSAT
- Chapter Three introduces 30 words about interesting types of people, defined through examples from pop culture icons to make the words relevant and understandable to any teen
- Chapter Four uses historic figures and events to explain each vocabulary word
- Chapter Five focuses on the most frequently used prefixes on the SAT
- Chapter Six highlights tone words that are commonly tested in sentence completion and critical reading sections