Fully updated to serve the needs of school counselors in training, this remains the only text to present a comprehensive, developmental, and practical approach to preparing school counselors to conceptualize the career development and college readiness needs of P-12 students. The second edition reflects the ASCA's new Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success, which focuses on college and career readiness standards for all students, 2016 CACREP Standards, and the 2015 Every Student Succeeds Act. The text is uniquely grounded in developmental, ecosystemic, and career theories as a basis for career interventions.
Considering the range of psychosocial, cognitive, and academic development spanning P-12 students, the authors review relevant developmental and career theories as a foundation for the design of sequential and developmentally appropriate career and college readiness curricula and interventions. The text provides school counselors and educators concrete examples of how to select, implement, and evaluate the outcomes of interventions grounded in various career counseling theories and addresses career development and college readiness needs by grade level. Also included is expanded information on diversity; reflections and advice from actual school counselors; updated statistics, references, and appendices; and an updated Instructor's Manual, test bank, and PowerPoint slides.
New to the Second Edition:
- Features a Building a College-Going Culture section that expands coverage on college readiness counseling
- Reflects updated legislation and policy information including ASCA's new Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success, 2016 CACREP Standards, 2015 Every Student Succeeds Act, and the Reach Higher Initiative
- Completely new chapter on college and career decision making
- Voices from the Field highlighting experiences from actual school counselors
- Enhanced instructor resources including Instructor's Manual, test bank, and PowerPoint slides
- The only comprehensive text devoted to career and college counseling for school counselors; written by former school counselors
- Disseminates current data and research focusing on college readiness needs of diverse populations
- Includes interventions grounded in theory and connected to national standards