Designed to provide concise, focused information on nursing in the community, this easy-to-read textbook covers everything a nurse practicing in this specialty needs to know - from nursing roles and care settings to vulnerable population groups. It features a practical, community-oriented approach, with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention. Now in full color throughout, this edition provides new chapters on vulnerable populations and evidence-based practice, as well as expanded coverage of key topics such as bioterrorism and homeland security.
- The various roles and settings for community health nursing are discussed, for a comprehensive perspective on this field.
- Clinical Applications present real-life community client situations with questions and answers.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes focus on recent research findings and applications to community nursing practice.
- What Would You Do? activities sharpen problem-solving skills and challenge students to apply chapter material outside the classroom.
- Briefly Noted sections present topics for discussion, special clinical considerations, and facts of interest related to chapter content.
- How To boxes present specific, application-oriented information.
- Health promotion is emphasized throughout with discussions of how national public health efforts impact community health practice, and Healthy People 2010 objectives for various areas are highlighted in special boxes.
- Full-color design highlights important content and features, making information easier to understand.
- A new chapter on evidence-based practice emphasizes the need to develop best practices in clinical care based on current research.
- Two new chapters expand the book's coverage of vulnerable populations to offer coverage of clients in rural settings and migrant workers, as well as teen pregnancy, poverty and homelessness, and clients with mental illness.
- Increased coverage of bioterrorism and homeland security in the Disaster Management chapter addresses the need for more education about this growing societal concern.
- Level of Prevention boxes emphasize the importance of a preventive approach in community-oriented nursing.
- Case studies incorporated into the chapters present examples of real life situations.
- An Additional Resources list at the end of every chapter includes cross-references to the books appendices, the Evolve site, and the Hale: Real World Community Health Nursing CD-ROM, 2nd edition. This CD-ROM is available separately for purchase as a supplement to the textbook.
- Perforated cards are located in the front of the book that provide easy access to important information for the community setting.