A great resource for educators, behavior specialists, early interventionists, SLPs, occupational therapists, and families, this reader-friendly pocket guide is the perfect introduction to PRT, the popular approach that uses natural learning opportunities to modify pivotal areas of behavior. Pioneering autism experts Robert and Lynn Koegel speak directly to the reader, demystifying PRT and clearly explaining why it leads to widespread and rapid progress for children.
Filled with helpful tips and many practical examples based on actual children, the book reveals the key principles behind
- motivating children with natural reinforcers
- reducing disruptive behavior with PRT
- encouraging communication and social initiations
- developing a challenging curriculum that helps children make progress
- assessing children meaningfully in natural environments
- closely collaborating with parents on goals and interventions
- helping families weave interventions into everyday routines
- ensuring that children generalize skills to other settings
- decreasing parents' stress and offering positive support
Throughout the book, the Koegels engage readers with down-to-earth guidance based on best practice, true stories from their decades of experience with children and families, and clear explanations of what the research says about PRT. And the end-of-chapter questions for teachers, therapists, and parents reinforce key points and prepare them for effective PRT implementation.
An essential first step in PRT training and a must-have for every member of a child's support team, this quick and practical introduction will get everyone on board with PRT and equip them with the fundamentals they need to use it in the real world.
A featured book in our Better Behavior Kit!