Observes social structures and inequalities with a critical, conflict perspective.
Taking a conflict approach,top-selling Social Problems 12efocuses on the underlying features of the social world in an effort to help students to understand today's social problems.
A consistently sociological approach in Social Problems Census Update establishes a coherent framework that allows students to view social problems as interrelated. The authors help students grasp societys role in the creation and perpetuation of social problems by incorporating five major themes throughout the text, including: structural causes of social problems; role of the United States in global social problems; centrality of class, race, and gender as sources of division, inequality, and injustice; critical examination of society; and a progressive plan to solve problems.
The Census Updateprogram incorporates 2010 Census data into a coursesimply and easily. The components of the Census Update Program include an updated census edition with all charts and graphsto reflect the results of the 2010 Census. In addition, A Short Introduction to the U.S. Census is available and an updated MySocLab.
Teaching & Learning Experience
- Personalize Learning The new MySocLab delivers proven results in helping students succeed, provides engaging experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with educational expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals.
- Improve Critical Thinking - Feature questions encourage students to think globally about both current and impending social problems.
- Engage Students Personal challenges regarding social problems are highlighted within the text in addition to opportunities for student involvement.
- Explore Theory A progressive plan to solve social problems is proposed.
- Understand Diversity The centrality of class, race, and gender as sources of division, inequality, and injustice is integrated heavily throughout the text.
- Support Instructors - Written activities and assessment in MySocLab offer instructors supplemental materials to help their students succeed.
Note: MySocLab does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MySocLab, please visit: www.mysoclab.com or you can purchase a ValuePack of the text + MySocLab (at no additional cost). ValuePack ISBN-10: 0205172431 / ValuePack ISBN-13: 9780205172436